Did you join us for the Sweet Corn Meet? Kara from Three Pines Farm featured a caramel corn ice cream with sweet corn brittle & it was to die for! 100% of the non-members in attendance joined at the event & we are excited to welcome them to our family!
Check out the winning recipes below, as well as the herb dip Luann Alemao made during her Cooking with Herbs class.
Corn, Chicken, and Tomato Pasta Salad
• 1-1/2 heaping cups of dried, bow-tie pasta
• 2 fresh ears of corn
• 1 cup shredded, cooked chicken
• 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped (about 3⁄4- 1 cup)
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 3 tablespoons vinegar
• 3 tablespoons homemade, basil pesto (mix pine-nuts, olive-oil, garlic, salt, & fresh basil in
• 1 tablespoon water
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan cheese
• Snipped fresh basil to taste
1. Boil ears of corn until tender-crisp; cool and use sharp knife to remove kernels from cob.
2. Follow package directions to cook bow-tie pasta aldente.
3. In a large bowl, combine corn, chicken, pasta, and tomato.
4. For dressing: In a screw-top jar, combine the olive oil, vinegar, pesto, chicken
broth, salt and pepper. Cover and shake well.
5. Pour dressing over pasta mixture; toss gently to coat. Chill, covered, for at least 2
hours or up to 24 hours. Sprinkle with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and delicate strips of fresh basil before serving.
This recipe was adapted by Naomi and John McCormick from 30 Sweet Corn Recipes, Midwest Living, http://www.midwestliving.com/food/fruits-veggies/corn-recipes/
Kale, Corn & Bean Pesto Salad
• 10 ears of sweet corn, briefly cooked & cut from ears
• 10 large kale leaves, cleaned & chopped
• 1 cup red onion, diced
• 1 can black beans, drained & rinsed
• 1 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
• salt & pepper, to taste
• add other garden veggies as available (optional)
• 1/2 cup pesto (or basil, olive oil, garlic & salt blended together)
• 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
Banana Corn Muffins
(makes approx 20 mini muffins or 6 regular muffins)
Preheat oven to 350°
• 2⁄3 cup all-purpose, gluten-free flour
• 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
• 3 tbl coconut sugar
• 1 tbl aluminum-free baking powder
• 1⁄4 tsp salt
• 1/2 ripe banana
• 2/3 cup almond milk
• 2 tbl of olive oil
Mix together all dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl & set aside.
In a large bowl, mash the banana. Stir in the milk, then the dry ingredients
& the oil. Spoon into muffin tins & bake for 15 min for minis & 20 min for regular.
Let cool in muffin tin for 10 min before removing.
Luann Alemao’s Herb Dip
• 8 oz cottage cheese
• Fresh herbs like rosemary, basil, oregano
• 1/2 tsp Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing & Seasoning Mix
Blend ingredients together with a food processor or blender &
enjoy with fresh veggies.